Intro

This blog's purpose is to chronicle my journey, which I think will be a means of catharsis for me, but the main reason I'm publishing it online is in hopes that it will raise BRCA genetic testing awareness and maybe even help others along their own journey. When it came time to make decisions regarding my medical care, I found that the blogs of other women in similar circumstances were the most helpful for me.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Prep Work & LISTS!

I have 3 weeks before my prophylactic mastectomy and immediate reconstruction surgery. In this time I need to completely plan and do all prep for a baby shower, prepare items needed for surgery, and prepare my "hospital room" for after surgery. So in the hopes that my OCD can help others preparing for the same surgery, I decided to publish my prep lists. I've compiled this list from researching other women's blogs and from my sister's surgery.

Things to do Before Surgery
  • Wash sheets in guest bedroom and make bed (this is where I'll be sleeping)
  • Bake brownies for nurses & doctors, package, and freeze
  • Place in drawers in night stand:
    • bottled water
    • mints
    • saltine crackers & ginger candy (in case of nausea)
    • throat lozenges (in case of mild throat irritation from breathing tube, in case of severe irritation, ask doctor about liquid lidocaine)
    • books
    • magazines
    • notepad & pen
    • tissue
    • measuring cup for drainage
    • facewipes
    • lip balm
    • lotion
    • comb & hair ties
    • charger for phone & Kindle
  • Things to bring to hospital
    • brownies for nurses & doctors
    • mints
    • toothbrush
    • kindle & charger
    • robe
    • pajama bottom & top to leave hospital in
    • 2 pairs of underwear
    • glasses
    • post-surgery bra
    • medications
    • lip balm
    • facewipes
    • lotion
    • brush & hair tyes
  • Order 1 post-mastectomy bra & 2 camis as recommend by Melissa on her blog Greater Than the Sum of My Parts (you can find the camis here http://www.thepinkbra.com/amoena2105.html)
 That's all I can think of right now, that's surgery related. I'm sure I'll think of more later. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment