Intro

This blog's purpose is to chronicle my journey, which I think will be a means of catharsis for me, but the main reason I'm publishing it online is in hopes that it will raise BRCA genetic testing awareness and maybe even help others along their own journey. When it came time to make decisions regarding my medical care, I found that the blogs of other women in similar circumstances were the most helpful for me.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Surgery from my POV

I know it's been a while since I've posted. I had this grand illusions of all the things I would do before and after my surgery, including posting right before and right after my surgery. Ha! I'm an over-achiever in my brain but things never quite work out as well as I'd like them to.

You heard about the work up for my surgery from my husband so I won't give you too many details except for the fact that I took two xanax the morning of my surgery on an empty stomach and so I was feeling gooood! :) I recommend this for everyone who has some anxiety before going under the knife. I cried a little while Josh and I had some alone time before surgery. I told him if anything happened to me, he should be happy, truly happy. I wanted him to live again and not stay married to my ghost. I also wanted him to make sure that my god-daughter was taken care of. I wanted a good chunk of my life insurance to go to her. Other than that though I was chatting up the nurses and at one point told my nurse she deserved a raised because she was great. I had a pretty big group of people waiting to see me before surgery so my husband graciously shared time with them and we had a 5 minute switch off time, where I spent 5 mins with each person. My parents, my sisters, and my best friends. I said I love you a lot. This isn't so out of place with my family but my best friends and I don't say "I love you" very often. I must have said it a hundred times to them during this whole surgery process, because I do. They've stepped up and have become more like sisters to me.

Anyway, my doctors came. My PS asked me if I had any questions. I said one, "we have a bet going, what kind of car do you drive?" He laughed and told me a "Prius." We all lost the bet. For the record we were betting he had a Tesla. I was wheeled into the operating room and got my anesthesia. I woke up, what seemed like 1 minute later. I felt disoriented, hot, and shaky. I wasn't in pain or nauseous but from reading other blogs I knew it was best to stay on top of that. So when they asked what my pain was on the scale I said 12 and that I was nauseous. Little wee white lie. They gave me dilaudid and zofran. So I avoided pain and nausea. The only thing was, as I was recovering and friends and family started leaking in, I felt extremely anxious. I was sweaty, cold and clammy, shaky, and anxious. It took a while but eventually they gave me a xanax and I felt better. I'm not sure if I had a reaction the anesthesia or if I was just disorientated but when I go under for the exchange surgery I'm going to have to make sure I let them know so they can be prepared.

I was pretty surprised at how quickly I rebounded. Within the same night I was getting up on my own to go to the bathroom, was eating solid foods, and had very little pain. I'm very fortunate to have found a doctor who did the over the muscle expander surgery. By the next day I was ready to go home. Now time to recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment