Intro

This blog's purpose is to chronicle my journey, which I think will be a means of catharsis for me, but the main reason I'm publishing it online is in hopes that it will raise BRCA genetic testing awareness and maybe even help others along their own journey. When it came time to make decisions regarding my medical care, I found that the blogs of other women in similar circumstances were the most helpful for me.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

L's Surgery II & Anticipation

I'm back at work after a sweet sweet 10 days off for the holidays. *sigh* I spent a chaotic Christmas Eve with my huge family. It's always been loud and crowded at my parents house during Christmas but add in the addition of 3 new baby girls and it's a down right war zone. I loved every minute of it. I wouldn't trade my family for anything in the world. We shared laughs, yummy food, and even a cold. :| Yay!

On Christmas day, my fam and I went to mass. Can I just say I love going to church during the holidays? The music and singing always makes me feel so happy! After that my husband and I spent our very first Christmas as newlyweds alone. It was AMAZING! We had brunch, watched Christmas movies, took a nap, and cooked a prime rib dinner together. After that we took our dog out for a walk and she got to chase some tennis balls in the tennis courts across from our condo. Along our walk, you could see and hear families gathering in their houses and it just warmed my heart. Though they probably thought I was some sort of peeping Tom staring and smiling at them through their windows!

Three days later, my sister L had her bi-lat mastectomy and immediate reconstruction. My other sister G and I were pretty nervous to see her after her surgery. We were sure she was going to be in excruciating pain. We found her in her hospital room looking pretty darn good! She looked like she just came out of a long nap! Her voice was hoarse from the breathing tube but she was in good spirits. As soon as we were alone, she looks at me and says "you can do this." That's what I needed to hear. She's now at home recovering. I'm not going to lie, she's in a lot of pain. So of course I'm still nervous for my surgery because I know her pain threshold is a lot higher than mine but, she knows this and still has faith in me so that gives me some courage. Her advice to others going through this procedure? Bring a pillow with you for the ride home to brace against your chest.

Tomorrow is my appointment with my plastic surgeon and I'm extremely anxious/a teensy bit excited. I can't wait to come out on the other side and be rid of my possibly-traiterous breasts. I've read up on my PS and have seen his picture. He looks like the typical hot shot PS who probably drives a porsche and has a god-complex and I am okay with this! I want him to be a perfectionist with the magic touch. It's not like we have to go out for beers or bake cookies together after anyway. I have a TON of questions for him as my Breast Surgeon has told me he does his reconstructions over the muscle instead of under. Most doctors do under the muscle surgery so I can't wait to hear about his techniques. More to follow tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment